Monday, July 16, 2012

Colombia

Going through security yesterday at the airport in Bogota I had a rather long conversation with the customs agent. His questions at the time seemed offensive to me but the more I think about it the more I love it. My passport is proudly stamped with my birth city Bogota, Colombia. There was a time as a young child that I carried a Colombian Passport. At the age of 18 I had a decision to make. I didn't mull it over too much and there was no ceremony but the decision I made was to remain a US Citizen. At 18 I could have chosen Colombia. The questions from the Customs Agent were just that:
Where is your Colombian Passport? Why don't you have one, you were born here so you must be Colombian. Why don't you speak Spanish. Although all of my answers were in Spanish clearly he knew I am limited. The point is he's proud of his country and proud of his language. He wanted to know why I would give that up? It was a fun conversation for sure. I'm proud to have been born in that city.

It's a Small World - On the bike tour we took around Bogota we met a young guy from Boston. We talked about running, running shoes and City Sports in Boston. Then we talked about the Small World. This guy lived outside of Peoria, IL. His dad worked for Caterpillar. He went to Southern Illinois University. 4 things in common with me (running, Peoria, Caterpillar, SIU) all at a random bicycle tour in Bogota, Colombia.

Finally the Pictures of the Family. Marco, Mary, Ana Maria and her boyfriend Ito. Family for life...





It's a good life......

No comments: