Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Weekend Update and the Failed MAF Test

By the time Friday night came along I was wasted tired. I'd spent Friday going back and forth between two stores trying to motivate folks and get them prepared for what was expected to be a big weekend.

Saturday rolled around the the thunder storms that we never see here on the Southern coast of California, were moving through. Hard rain followed the lightning and thunder. I was out the door at 6:30am to set up for a couple group runs.

Believe it or not some hearty runners showed up to run. Home by noon and Mary wanted to shop with me. She never want's to shop with me so I took the time to spend the afternoon with my wife. We had a good time although it was raining most of the day. 

By the time we got home I had a choice, ride my bike or take a nap. I chose sleep and finally got out the door at 4:00. I walked the dog for 45 minutes and it felt great. 

Saturday night Marco and I went to see a movie. Terminator. He liked it.

Sunday - Long Run

I figured 7am would be goog. Generally I can run 2 hours with no water. I was wrong on Sunday. The sun came out early and the moisture in the ground from the day before turned to humidity. By the time I hit 1:40 I was cooked. I finished and quickly filled my body with cool water and electrolytes. The day got hotter and more humid until 2pm when the showers returned. It rained through the night.

Marco and I hit the gym for an hour. He's one strong young man.

Monday I got out the door early for an easy swim. I love the feeling of movement and especially movement with no pounding. Then it was off to rid the body of Iron (I have too much) as well as give back to those in need. I gave blood. I do it every 56 days which is the limit.

They say when you give blood, "don't do anything strenuous for 24 hours".

Tuesday I decided to execute a MAF test. It's not strenuous! During the first 10 minutes of the test all was ok, pace was good and everything felt fine. Then shortly after, everything felt fine but my Heart Rate was 159. Then it was 175 but my heart didn't feel like it was in my throat. Then I remembered, the last time I did the MAF test on this track my Heart Rate was skipping around. I thought it was the guy on the track I kept passing who also had a heart rate monitor on. Today there was nobody on the track but me. When the body and the monitor didn't match I shut the test down. I turned the monitor off and just ran for an hour.

We live in outdoor lifestyle central. There are 3,000 people who run the coast highway in Encintas/Cardiff every day. There are 3 championship level pools with master's programs daily and there are high schools all around with beautiful tracks. All the tracks are locked down with no public access. It's such a shame to drive by a track and not see it in use.

Not to be outdone by the issues of tracks (by the way it's a sand track) with interference or tracks locked up. I'm off to my secret park to do my MAF test on Sunday. Details to follow.

It's a good life....

No comments: