Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Yoga Challenge

I was laughing with my wife yesterday. I was asked to submit a passport type photo for my London Marathon credentials. I showed this picture to Mary and said “I’ll just use this” This is actually our son of course.

I’ll admit that I always look at myself as being younger than I am. I look around at others my age and feel proud of the way I take care of myself. That said age does win and it’s winning lately. I decided to do something about it. I started using Sufferfest long ago for my cycling. Earlier this year I downloaded the Sufferfest App. I was surprised to see yoga videos. I started using them daily. Then I listened to an interview with David Goggins who said he cured all of his aches and pains by doing yoga every day. So I committed. I’ve stuck to the stretching and mobility videos.

Tomorrow Sufferfest starts a yoga for cyclists challenge. 30 days of practice. In the challenge the emphasis is on the strength aspect of Yoga. I like that so I’m doing it. I will report on the results regularly but while here I’ll talk about results to date.

The one yoga pose everyone should learn and perfect is downward dog. When I started in January I could do downward dog with bent knees and on my forefoot only. Today I can do it with straight legs and I’m one half of one inch from putting my heels on the ground. What does that do for me? I wake up today with almost no soreness or stiffness. A dramatic difference from January. Since January I’ve flown to London then home, then to NYC the following week. This past weekend I flew to Rome spent a day in there then flew to Amsterdam. Spent 1 1/2 days there then flew home. Still no stiffness waking up. Each flight is followed by yoga.

If you are waking up stiff, download Sufferfest and do the Yoga. It’s 15 minutes each segment and it works. Do the cycling if you want but do the yoga.

No comments: