Monday, August 19, 2019

Running Injuries

Over the last couple weeks I’ve been dealing with some knee pain. I think it started by doing some hard running on the track and then was finished off by the down hill repeats on the trail. It doesn’t keep me from running but it is quite painful when I start running. It also causes me to change my stride. The picture above is the result of the changing stride. My right, side to compensate is taking more of the force pressure and therefore is shuffling more than it is lifting. On a recent trail run I took my eye off the trail for a split second and down I went. My right foot caught a root. I landed on my right knee and right elbow and somehow also landed on my left knee and left hand. I laid there for a minutes or so. Stood up shoot it off and finished the run. I had no choice I was 40 minutes running or a great deal more walking away from the car. 

This past Saturday I did my first race of the year, the Wild Duck 5K Cross Country Race. I’ve done the race a few times and had such a blast last year I decided to do it again. I took an extra long warm up to get that left knee working pain free. It kind of worked. I took the first mile out very conservative for me and then cruised the next 2 miles. I didn’t want to risk pushing so hard that I did more damage to my knee. I finished in 21:39. Last year I ran 21:16. I’m satisfied with the race this year. After the race I stood around talking to folks then I hobbled my way through a warm down. I knew damage was done. 

Yesterday I made it 4 steps into a run and stopped, my knee is damaged. This is the first running injury I can remember in a decade or more. I’m going to heed the advice I give everyone, rest. I’ve got a week this week where there is some forced rest coming up. I have one of those medical screening tests where you have to fast the day before and I’ll be out the day of the test too. That’s as good an excuse as any to take the next 5 days off of running and hope for the best. I won’t just lay down. I’ll swim and I can ride without any pain. There is also a great deal of mobilization and yoga in my future. I’m confident I can work it out in a week. 

It’s a good life.....

No comments: