Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Learning Every Day - Running Form

Today I met two good runners on the track for a workout. It was unplanned for me but it's one of my goals this year. Don't worry about planning and just jump in when the opportunity arrises. The only thing I am making sure is that I don't jump in and jump in and jump in. I may not survive. So tonight with no real planning I jumped on the the track for a set of 800's.

The first 4 were good efforts but I good feel something wasn't right. I felt like I was fighting the entire way. About 1/2 way through #4 I realize it was my form. My strides were long and my arm swing was off. The faster I ran the worse I was. On #5 the two took off very strong and I jumped right into my bad form. I made it 1/2 a lap and then shut it down. I regrouped and recommitted to good form. So on #6 I focused on my running mates. I matched their foot strikes and relaxed as much as possible. The pace for me was still hard (not nearly as fast as theirs) but the effort was much more controlled. I ran the final 3 even paced and felt good at the end.

It's just a lesson on how important good form is. The better the form the "easier" running feels. That's a fairly simple idea if your really think about it. If you feel you are just fighting it out there on your next run, smooth out the stride, take a foot strike measurement, 18 steps in 6 seconds is 180 in 60. and run tall. It's amazing how it helps out.

It's a good life....

No comments: