Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 is Behind

A slightly late review of 2013 and outlook for 2014.


The short story in my life

Business
We are failing in the USA. The market is over run with shoes and with good shoe companies. Be poor design and development or poor marketing/sales, we have to admit that we all failed. As the one guy in charge of shoes it's my fault. On the positive side we are growing outside the US and doing it consistently. It's a big reason why I travel on long haul flights regularly. The best part is the outlook. We have a new shoe out in 6 months that I am most proud of in my running shoe career. It's a special shoe and I can't wait for everyone to have a chance to run in it.

Family
Because I let the failures of the US business overwhelm me and because I traveled 130,000 miles in the air and 75 nights or so in hotels I did not give Mary and Marco what they deserve. They deserve me 100% engaged when I am with them. I did not do that very well and go that I am deeply sorry. They will be with me long after running shoes.  I am thrilled that Mary traveled to Russia and Marco ran so fast but I know I can do better with both of them. Finding out my Brother Bob has ALS was not easy but spending more time with him then in years past has been priceless. The jokes my Mom told while we ( Mary, Marco and I) were driving were great to hear. Even with Alziemer' s she can be funny and have a good time. I loved those moments.

Friends
I simply suck here. Sorry to all my friends. I will get better. I think rude is the best I thing I can say to describe myself.

Personal
I raced every month but only a couple were great. No matter, I had a great time doing it and plan to do it again this year. My best was the Encinitas Triathlon even with the gnarly swim. My worst by far was Ironman Lake Tahoe but hey, I finished. The best part of 2013 was taking on my long term health. The Blood test was expensive, then follow up work a great deal of work and expensive but the results are already showing. I will spend some time filling you in here.

2014
I decided late in 2013 that I needed to take control of my life. The first part of the year I am working on my Leadership skills. Leadership is something I love and something I feel I need in the rest of my life. You will see more on this subject and more than that I hope you feel it.

Welcome ton2014, let's make it special.

It's a good life....

No comments: