Sunday, March 9, 2008

Sleep and the OS!M

Just a random picture from one of our outings. We found this on a trail were were hiking. Like any kid, Marco gets a bit tires of being the model "Hey Marco go stand by that thing for a picture". I think we are all the same.


Sleep
I can't seem to figure sleep out right now. I go to bed at 9:00 p.m. I wake up at 4:30am. I go to bed at 11pm and wake up at 4:30. I run for two hours, go shopping with Mary and Marco then take the family to the gym for a workout. Go to bed at 10:30 last night completely exhausted and wake up at 4:30am. On a Sunday the day and my day of rest. Last year at this time, living in this house by myself, the wake up time was 3:30 so at least I'm getting an extra hour of sleep. I like my mornings. In fact everyone who knows me knows I'm a totally different person in the morning than at night. Sure I can rally with the best of them at night but I would rather not do that because I already put everything into the day. My favorite time of the day is Sunrise. It's the most peacful time I have ever found. 4:30 am is not even close to sunrise. Here in Germany right now sunrise is 6:40 am. So I'm more than 2 hours early for my favorite time of the day. Any tips out there would be of great use.

OS!M
My recent post about the Radical Leap leadership book got me thinking. Again LEAP stands for Love, Energy, Audacity and Proof. Essentially if you love what you do, who you do it with and why you do it, let the energy from that love flow be a bit audacious from the prior two (not your ego) and then prove that it's working, you can become a great Radical Leader. Tied to that is the OS!M or "Oh Shit Moment". It's that moment when you do something that you are not really comfortable with that causes some fear and you learn from it good or bad. In other words you will never be perfect all the time and you can't become an extreme leader without putting it out there for everyone to see and failing every once in awhile. I try to manage my work life every day through LEAP and the OS!M. I don't hide the fact that I'm not in the shoe business but in the people businesss. If I do things right, the people around me will be energized to reach beyond their current known potential. If I do things right runners around the world will be able to run longer, faster or at least pain free. Shoes are just the catalyst to get me to those goals. To do that there are quite a few OS!M's. Heck, just handing The Radical Leap to someone I've just starting working with and then saying "don't copy me on every email, don't check in with status, just finish the job.......Go!" Is a big OS!M. What happens if she fails, then I fail but that's o.k. because we both will learn something.
My recent posts about my training and my testing have been really big OS!M. I have usually been very guarded with that kind of stuff. I guess part of it has been my little secret. Now to put it out there for everyone to see is a bit scary. But I also think this, If my goal is to make sure runners or simply people around the world can enjoy running or their fitness I've got to put it out there for you to see. You have to see that I work hard, fail miserably at it from time to time and then get out there and do it again. If I don't do that I'm not fully engaging in my Goal to change the World.

It's a good life.....
Dave

No comments: