Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Tights, Jackets, hats and gloves

Marco in Lanzorate.

O.K. I'll admit it, I'm sick of getting dressed to go running in the dark. I now have a much deeper connection with all those people I used to be in contact with across the US who had to run through the winter. It just plain sucks. Tomorrow morning after crawling out of a toasty warm bed, I will wake up for 45 minutes or so and then head out the door for a set of hill repeats. (don't get to overworked by the term repeats. They will be done with a HR cieling in place) The tempreature will be somewhere around 22 and the wind is expected to be blowing which will bring the Feels Like down a few more degrees. So I'll have long thermal tights, a thermal top, a wind stopper jacket, thermal hat and gloves. It will take me what seems like a long time to get organized because of all this stuff. The first 100 or so steps will be very hard and my nice warm body gets the shock of cool seeping through the tights and around my neck. Yes of course, I will actually be sweating by the time I'm done but it's the first 5 or 10 minutes outside that are the hardest. That and the simple yet pain staking routine of layering on the clothes just to go running. I really long for the days when I can run in shorts and no shirt if I so choose. Oh and just a bit of sunshine to go with that would be good too.
Then again, who am I to complain. Scout will join me and won't give a hoot that it's cold. There are deer to chase and that makes her happy. I will be out running while most of the houses are still closed up for the night. Most of all, I am still running with no injuries and no aches and pains that I didn't know were going to be there. Nothing I do is more basic or more freedom feeling than running even if it is in what seems like the dead of winter in the Dark.
It's a good life.....
Dave

No comments: