Monday, July 6, 2009

The Smell

It's been said that one of the best senses you have is your sense of smell. I can't remember too much about my first Ironman. Sure I've got memories of Mark Montgomery asking me if I'm running a 10K or my Dad at the finish. But what brings me back to that place every time is the smell. The smell of my bike clothes after 20 hours sitting in a plastic bag. I've had that smell maybe twice since that race and both times I was jolted back to that day. It was October 1988 if you want to know how far back that is.

So it is this that I offer up the smell of Germany. I'll miss it. I'm not sure Mary will. Germany to me is the smell of the farm. Around here that means manure because that is the feritlizer. Today I road by the Barn that I normally ride by. If the wind is right and the doors are open, it's the strongest smell of cow shit on the planet. I'm going to miss that barn and that smell. Each time I smell anything like it I'm sure I will be brought back to Germany.

It's a good life....
Dave

No comments: