Sunday, May 1, 2011

Who turned on the Furnace?

Today we went straight into summer and summer heat. It was a good day to get a taste of the St. George weather to come. My workout called for 3 hours of race pace effort. 2:15 on the bike and 45 on the run. I chose to do the effort in the afternoon because Marco wanted to run late. At 3:00pm I headed out and decided to go east. The oven was turned on full blast and the blaster fan was blowing. There was a point on the way home through Elfin forest that the chicken farm smell hit me 2 miles early. That's when I knew I was in for quite a fun time in the forest. If that stench is hitting you that early it's windy and the wind was directly in my face.

Off the bike Marco went out for 45 minutes. In the middle we hit the soccer field for Tabata Sprints. It's his mile work and well what the heck I'll do them too. The last one is always a race and finally I beat him. The first time in 5 weeks. It's always fun. I'm sure he'll clean my clock on the next set. It was a good day for Dads because in the middle of the Sprints we hear, Go Marco! It was Enge and family after time on the basketball court.

This was the end of a very good week. The goal of the week was quality bike work and lots and lots of swimming. 5 times in the pool close to 20,000 yards. Before I looked at my schedule this is what I had in mind so it's good the coach was on the same page. 5 nights of sleep before the test.

It's a good life...

Dave

1 comment:

beth said...

getting excited for you.

wishing you the perfect recipe for race day:

1 cup fresh legs
1 cup hard earned fitness
1 cup grace under pressure
2 tablespoons of problem solving
1 teaspoon "kid on christmas" feeling
1/2 teaspoon butterflies
handful of gratitude to taste

mix together. marinate for 9 or 10 hours. grill to perfection.

season with a pinch of Race Day Magic.

GO DAVE!