Thursday, January 26, 2012

Running Around #5 A story of Love in Atlanta

Mary at the Great Wall Summer 2011

This is a story about a girl. Her name is Mary. A long time ago at a company we both worked for Mary was notorious. Let's just say any time her name came up it was followed with she's such a bitch. During this time I was selling shoes for a living. Besides working at one of the retail stores I was also on the travel team, traveling to running races all over the country selling. One of the races frequented was the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta, GA. It was July and time for Peactree. The plans were set but there was a late substitution. Mary was coming. Oh Great!
I met Mary for the first time at the airport in San Diego. I said hi but not much else until we got off the plane in Atlanta. We found our hotel and realized we had a few hours before we could set up at the expo. There were 4 or 5 of us on the trip. Mary wanted to go visit a Museum. I wanted to go for a run. The others joined Mary on the Museum tour and of course I went running in the hot afternoon in Atlanta. There was nothing special about the run just that I did it.
Over the next 3 days I got to know Mary. In fact I don't think we stopped talking to each other the entire trip. I got home after the trip and called my sister Cyndi. I told her I met my future wife.
It was almost a year later that we went on our first date. Ever since then we plan our vacations in places where Mary can tour and I can run.

No clue what I'd be doing today if I hadn't gone running in Atlanta.

It's a good life....

1 comment:

kelly h williamson said...

Good stuff Dave! I love blogs. Just our own private space to say whatever we want.... Hope you guys have many years of touring and running ahead :)