Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tuesday Run

The running has been tough this week. The emotions from the events in Boston are still fresh. At times I am always reminded of how great this country is. Just the banner at Yankee stadium to the singing of the National Anthem at the Bruins game proves that no matter what our beliefs are we are all proud to be American. But then the images of Martin Richard and the 2 women killed bring me back to the sadness. But run I still do because that's what is right with running. Every runner would want the same thing if something tragic happened to them. They would tell everyone to go run. So it's with that thought that I write about my Tuesday Run.

Purpose - Form with Leg Speed.
The Run starts with shoes. I don't wear socks because we make our shoes so comfortable to run in  without socks that I can go without socks. Special note these shoes are a work in progress. They have no launch date and may never make it to the market. They are basically a "What is possible model" Well that's not exactly true. The upper is something we are launching in 2 months on the Ali'i. The midsole and outsole will be launched on a different shoe in 2014. 
 The run starts from the office down the road I call "The Freeway" those cars are easily traveling at 60mph on this suburban road. 
 After a short 7 minutes I land on this trail. This is why I somewhat like where the office is. 
 This is where the run officially takes place. I'll put the total workout below but it's on grass and barefoot. I have been doing this long before the barefoot running craze came along and I will do it long after the buzz dies down. 
 Best yet is if I decided to do Hill Repeats this hill is perfect. If you make it to the top at full gas you will end up on your knees. 

But back the the barefoot grass workouts. I did not invent this. Coaches around the world use this type of workout. It's a way to feel leg speed without killing the runner.

Warm up to the grass is 10-15 minutes.
Shoes Off
Form Drills
1. High Knees
2. Butt Kicks
3. UCLA's or high skips.
4. Kareoki

The work 8-10 Strides - 20 - 25 second "Sprints"
The first 4-5
Concentrate on high knees proud upper body, perfect form.
The second 4-5
Perfect Form all out sprints.

Warm Down 10-15 minutes

Running doesn't have to be hard to be effective. This is a great run to use as a second run of the day or a run off a hard bike when your legs are trashed. The Strides should revitalize your legs. If you are new to running or just getting back into it these are perfect to practice perfect form and they give you that leg speed without totally working you. If you are worn out from this run, you are probably not running with perfect form and are probably running too hard.

It's a good life...
Dave

No comments: