Monday, July 19, 2010

Dawn Patrol

Today I met a group at the Cove in La Jolla for a Dawn Patrol swim. I'm totally out of swimming shape again but I figured what better way to get back in shape. I've swum at the cove many times before but never at Dawn. Two things stood out on this day. Flat water and a view of the bottom. Generally the water is not flat. There is usually a good size roll to the water given that the shore is not far off. Clarity is hit or miss. When it's clear like today, it's really clear. Other times you can barely see you hand in front of you.

There were 7 of us on the swim. We started out easy to buoy #1. Instantly I realized the organizer is a swimmer. He says water polo but darn he can swim. He sat waiting at the buoy for what seemed like forever. On the swim to the next buoy I fought hard to stay with Mr. Water Polo. I managed to stay much closer but he still dropped me. The final stretch to the turn around was to the shore. I held strong but could now feel the Kayak adventure with Marco in my arms. The return back to the cove was the longest section and my arms gave way. This gave me the perfect opportunity to search the world below.

Lots of Clown Fish and a good number of Rays not sure which kind. There were some bigger fish down deeper and the entire swim back was to a chorus of barks from the Seals on the rocks. Not one complaint from me even though my arms felt like they would fall off.

It's a good life....
Dave

No comments: