Thursday, July 15, 2010

My World #2

Today marks exactly one year since I left my life in the 3 stripes. I know this because my friend Paul posted this picture on Facebook and it was those mugs that put me under on the 15th of July 2009. I ended up sleeping off the beer in my car. Better to do that than drive home.

As posted earlier this week My World is in a shambles and it's up to me to fix it. Nobody else is going to fix it for me. Any time I'm feeling this way I always happen upon a book. Not because I'm looking for one but because I think it finds me. The book this time is Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox. Family ties was one of my favorite shows and it's only fitting that I buy his books. But why now, why a year after the book was published? Again, I think the book found me.

I read a statement today in the book that actually hit hard. We look up to guys like Lance Armstrong and Michael J. Fox because they turned a negative into an extreme positive. Lance was a great athlete before cancer and he proved you can come back. Michael was a hilarious actor and used his fame and desire to build one of the largest foundations in the world. The subject of the quote is being Heroic. We think of Lance and Michael as heroes. It's only natural. But Michael puts it this way "I didn't choose to have Parkinson's. I agree that if I took on the condition and everything that comes with it just to become an advocate on behalf of others so afflicted well yeah, that would be historically heroic. But in a way, I'm just rolling with the punches" That's powerful when you really think about it.

It's a good life....
Dave

No comments: