Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Perfect Storm

I know I'm a little slow, I just read The Perfect Storm. I mean really who didn't read that book? Of course I loved it. I am totally facinated with fishing the high seas. I think it's Marco and the two of us watching The Deadliest Catch. I don't have a great memory for reading books. I won't be able to tell you Billy Tyne was the captain of the AG much longer. What I will remember from that book is the process of drowning. Here's the thing. When I was 4 or 5 and taking swimming lessons I almost drowned in knee deep water, during the lesson. I slipped on the bottom of the pool and I couldn't get up. Then look at my life. I became a lifeguard, taught swimming lessons, went scuba diving on the Continental shelf and did a few Ironmans. I prefer to be wet from being in the Ocean all day. After reading that book I honestly can tell you that I've been taking the wonder of water and swimming in it for granted. It's an amazing thing to be able to swim well. It opens up so many possiblilties. What would my life be if I didn't almost drown in that pool in Brazil? Back to the reason of the post. I sure don't want to die drowning. My gosh that was a scary chapter. I was sweating just reading it.

On that subject here's a great article about fear, hesitation and water.
http://xtri.com/features_display.aspx?riIDReport=5392&CAT=23&xref=xx


It's a good life....
Dave

No comments: