Sunday, March 22, 2009

What are you Reading?

As you know I'm a big fan of putting good stuff in. If you put good stuff into your head you have a great chance of having good stuff come out of your head. I don't think that process ever ends or will ever end. In fact as I age I think the process is more important. It keeps the brain alive. My favorite way of putting good stuff in is reading. I am constantly on the search for finding the good stuff. I love book stores for this reason alone.

The last good stuff book I read was Fit Soul - Fit Body - By Mark Allen and Brant Secunda
http://www.amazon.com/Fit-Soul-Body-Healthier-Happier/dp/1933771569/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237782721&sr=1-1

Mark is the 6 time winner of the Ironman World Championships and Brant is a Shaman. Mark credits Brant with saving his racing career. It's well documented in Triathlon world that Mark struggled at the Ironman. My old college roomates loved the 1985 race where Mark begins struggling at the front of the race starts walking, gets passed and then on camera, pulls his shorts down to squat. It was either stomach issues, flat tires and much else that stopped Mark in Hawaii. Then in 1989 it all came together and he started winning. He won the remainder of the races he entered in Hawaii. Mark credits all those victories to Brant and his teaching. You see Mark had a fit body and Brant taught him how to have a fit soul. How to move away from the negative and go to the beautiful world. I'll read this book again just to soak it up once more but I use it all the time. I won't spoil it but if you hear me talking about the Sunrise or the Sunset just know there is more meaning for me than before.

As much as I am a big believer of putting good stuff in I also believe you have to escape as well. Reading for me is a total escape and I'm always on a search for books to escape into. Right now my book of choice (found at the local bookstore) is Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith http://www.amazon.com/Child-44-Tom-Rob-Smith/dp/0446402397/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237783634&sr=1-1

This book is based in Stalinist Russia and it's great. There are twists and turns on every page. It's a good picture of what the time was like under Stalin. Apparently this is Tom Rob's (I just like saying that) first novel. If he can continue like this he'll be up there with all the other paperback suspense novelists.

It's a good life.....
Dave

No comments: