Sunday, December 9, 2007

Heroes









Those of you who know me well know that I am constantly inspired by others. I call them my heroes. I can be inspired by all kinds and usually they are not super famous people you see on t.v. but just ordinary good people doing great things. The two guys pictured above are my current heroes. They just completed the Ultraman Triathlon on the Big Island of Hawaii. On the left is Tim Sheeper. Tim and I shared a house many years ago in Leucadia California. He and I raced our first Ironman together. I should say we trained for it together and he kicked my rear end on race day. Tim is now based in the Bay Area and is head coach and founder of a highly successful program (http://www.teamsheeper.com/). Tim is one of the good guys of the sport of triathlon. He's been in the sport a long time and has given back in so many ways. His athletes rave about his coaching. I had always known Tim the athlete and Tim the roommate but a couple years ago I witnessed Tim the coach. He just has a way as most great coaches do of getting you to believe in yourself. He's a great coach and the success of his business is proof.

Mike Rouse on the right is a gift to humanity. I don't know a person that doesn't look to Mike as a model for their own life. Mike brings passion to life every day. Just being around him makes your day better. I've known Mike for almost 10 years now. He is kind of a nut when it comes to events. He once traveled the world as a professional golfer and a series of events turned him into an ultra marathoner. You don't find that combination often. Mike has turned his passion for running into a life where he now directs the marketing of running footwear for Zoot(www.zootsports.com). He just brings that passion with him to the office and I'm sure the recent success of Zoot footwear has a great deal to do with him.


The Ultraman is an insane race. Day #1 is 6.2 mile swim and a 90 mile bike. Day #2 is 171 miles on the bike. Day #3 is a double Marathon on the famed Queen K Highway. Tim pushed the front of the race all three days. For a 44 year old guy in a sport where younger guys rule, Tim made the younger guys hurt. He finished 3rd overall. The guy who finished 2nd had to dig really deep on the last day to pass Tim. Mike finished the race and that's just an amazing task in itself. Something like 33 people started the race and 29 finished. By the way, it was the 3rd year in a row Mike has completed this race.


I am really glad I know these two guys. I'm sure they will find ways in the future to inspire me.


100 runs in 100 days

Well I made it through the first week. I am taking it rather conservatively so I'm 2 runs behind schedule. I have a plan to make up those two runs and I also have a plan in Late January to take most of one week off. For the next few weeks I plan to work into 7 runs in 7 days. Tomorrow is one of those days with a run in the morning and then a run home from work.

It's a good life...


Dave











No comments: