Monday, February 8, 2010

Inspirational!

Remember that Sunday morning show where the guy would put a pin in a map and go find the stories. I'm a sucker, I loved that show. Well this is my version. You send me the story, I put a pin in one and post it here. These stories don't lie. They are real and they have the ability to inspire. Here is one from this weeks winning post:

The progress I've made since getting in to triathlon 3 years ago is just amazing. Back in Feb. of 2006, I was 33 and had just lost my dad to brain cancer. Two days later, my wife gave birth to twins. Needless to say, my life was a roller coaster of emotion for quite some time.

In June of 2007, the Hy-Vee Triathlon came to Des Moines, and my family and I went down to watch the finish of the pro women’s race. There was something so overwhelmingly inspiring about seeing them finish that it practically brought me to tears. I decided right then that come June 2008, I would be crossing that finish line for my dad.

I'm about 5'10 and was close to 190 lbs and about 25% body fat when I started training. I had never swam competitively, never biked competitively, and had never run more than a 5k at about a 9:00 pace. I finished the Hy-Vee Olympic in about 2:38 and I was ecstatic. I was definitely hooked. Last year in addition to Hy-Vee, I raced the Florida and Kansas 70.3, and IM Wisconsin.

I'm down to about 145lbs and 9-10% body fat, and have a goal of a 2:15 Olympic and qualifying for AG Nationals this year. The transformation both physically and mentally has just been amazing. I feel so much better about myself health wise, and finally found something to help me get over the loss of my dad. Triathlon has really been a life-changing decision for me!

It wouldn't be possible without the tremendous support and understanding I get from my wife and kids!

Thanks,

Tom Mertz

Iowa

It's a good life......

Dave

No comments: