Friday, October 3, 2014

Five for Friday: Why I Enjoy The "Off" Season

Let's just start by saying that I'm not a professional athlete so off season is not real. I'm staying for life so my off season is really just a change in the fitness routine. It truly starts with 2 weeks completely off which started just over a week ago. Yes, there was that 5K "race" but that was for Marco and had nothing to do with staying fit. But the "Off" Season for me is, do whatever comes to mind for the day and build strength. So here's what I like about it:

  1. One Shower a Day - This is really driven by the last three weeks of the season leading up to the canceled Ironman 70.3 Lake Tahoe. During those three weeks, I swam every day so that mean's 2 showers a day at least. One shower a day is good for my skin and good for the environment.
  2. Book Reading - I always read but during this time a read a great deal more. Probably twice as many books as during the rest of the year.
  3. Food - I expand my food choices. I'm fairly strict during most of the year but during this time I'll have a dessert or two, eat crappy Mexican food or drink a few more Beers during the week.
  4. Waking Up in the Morning - During the "Season" I'm up and going early. During this time of the year, I'm waking up easing into the day. It's so nice to wake up slowly.
  5. Dog walks in the Dark - Niki and I get out about 5:30 each morning. It's still quite dark at this time. I carry a headlamp just in case I think I see  Coyote. But walking in the dark in our park opens up my senses. Without the light I have to sense each foot plant. Without the light I have to listen for Niki. It's so much fun listening for her. She is running all over the park and I like to imagine the fun she is having. It's also dead quite at this time of the day so a soft command gets her attention quickly. I love that.
It's a good life....

No comments: