Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Long Run


Today was just one of those days. I woke up at 4:30 with a plan to get in the long run starting at 5:30. From 4:30 - 5:30 I sat on the couch and debated "Go back to bed - No, get up and run" I had already had my snack and coffee and new sleep would be hard but also felt like running would be harder. Meanwhile I had Scout looking at me with longing eye's because somehow she knew it was run day. At 5:35 we finally headed out the door. It was dark, really dark. The run started slow and felt terrible. No rythm and no energy. We got into the forest and all of the sudden I started to see stars. Those stars made me feel dizzy. Coming out of the forest the trail in the picture is where we were. We didn't have this view because it was still dark but this is where we were. Just beyond that village is another hill so we set our sites on that hill as the possible turn around. It was a drag up the hill and from where this picture was taken to the middle of the hill we had a Rooster announcing our arrival into the village. We made it to the top and decided to continue on. Still a big fuzzy but better than the first 25 minutes. We continued down the trail for another 15 minutes and decided to turn around there. When we came back through this village, the Rooster was talking again but there was light. No need any longer for my torch. The light seemed to wake me up and the run got better and better as we continued. By the time we were back at the house we were sad that it was over. Well at least I was. Scout may have had other ideas. It's hard to tell with her, she generally has the same look.
Anyway the lesson was learned once again. It could have been real easy at 4:30 to go back to bed. Nobody but me would have known. At the same time though I felt like giving it a try. I'm glad I did because the day was full of energy and accomplishment.
It's a good life....
Dave

No comments: