Friday, July 31, 2009

Some Random Thoughts.....

I’ve been in the US for 2 days now and my mind is flooded with thoughts. To be more specific, I’m in the Heartland, Midwest, Center of the state of Corn, Peoria Illinois. A friend of mine said “I haven’t spent much time in that part of the country. I’ve been to Chicago three or four times”. Ha, Ha, Ha. Chicago is as close to Peoria as San Diego is to Fairbanks. Chicago is a big beautiful city with everything big cities have to offer. Peoria is the Heartland of America. Home to CAT and surrounded by the most productive pesticide covered corn fields in the world. With that as an introduction here are my random thoughts:
1. Radio hasn’t changed since my days here in High School. In fact as I drive around listening to the Classic Rock station I find myself right back in School driving around. I guess that’s Classic Rock today. I wonder what Classic Rock will be when Marco is 40. Pink Houses by John Cougar?
2. My post earlier in the week about Excess comes alive – It’s really weird actually. There are sidewalks here but nobody is on them. In fact you drive for 20 – 25 minutes and never see a human outside. Sure, they are in the cars that are all around but they are not out there using those legs they own.
3. There is a trail just like the trails in Germany. The Rock Island Trial – It’s beautiful. Too bad I had to drive 15 minutes to the start. Not quite like stepping out the door in anywhere Germany and finding a trail within 2 minutes.
4. I’m glad I don’t live and train here on my bike. If the cars or big farm trucks don’t kill you I’m sure the Volkswagen Beatle sized pot holes will.
5. Speaking of Pot Holes, the Stimulus Money is going to good use here. There is road construction (repair) everywhere. Looks to be about 10 years late but at least it’s getting done.
6. SUUD – Can’t type it the German way. South. Big bold letters on the side of a new building. Closer inspection of course it’s the local German Auto dealer. Those poor cars never saw roads in such bad shape.
7. Loneliness – I find when I’ve been away from people for a day or so, I tend to get all the talking I would have done in those days in the first hour I’m in contact with folks. Interesting that’s the case with my mother. I sit in that rocking chair and she talks, and talks, and talks. I feel bad, her cat died recently. She can’t even talk to the cat anymore.
8. Being Nice – I’m going after the good Karma train hard right now. I’m being extra nice to everyone I come in contact with. I think maybe good things will come back to me. My gosh it’s amazing when you are nice to someone. Their response is wow and thanks without even speaking a word.
9. Delcolax Stool Softener – I kid you not. It’s a true product and it’s being advertised on TV mid day here in the Heartland. I have a better idea. Get out of your car, walk for 30 minutes a day, eat real food and stop mixing all that medication. And please shop late at night. I don’t want to be behind you at the store when you are buying a box of this stuff.
Just some random things. It’s only been 2 days!

It’s a good life…..
Dave

No comments: