Monday, August 16, 2010

Chasing the Sunrise

By now most people who know me, know that morning is my time. I think I inherited this from my father. He was totally on to something. I get a great deal more done before 10am than I do from 4 to 10pm that's for dang sure. Yesterday found me on my bike at 6am. After a late night for me anyway with some late night frantic text messages to Mary, the morning was here. I could sleep through my plan or just go out there and get it done. It's a good thing I didn't look outside before I got dressed to go. 95% of my ride was done in fog. There was no sun, no sky just a thick blanket of fog. I say 95% because that 5% of sun that I got made up for all the 95% I didn't. As I started the climb up Double Peak I noticed the fog getting thicker. Into San Elijo hills it was about as twice as thick as it was at the bottom. Leaving the village and continuing up it just got worse. By the time I got to the turn off to Double Peak Road the visibility was maybe 100 feet. And then it got real thick. Heading up the first steep part of the road and it looked bleak. I thought to myself, this is one thick band of Fog, even DP is covered. There is a gate that's half way up the DP road. From the Gate to the top it might be a mile but I think less. But I think the average gradient after the gate is 17% so it doesn't really matter how long it is. At the gate it was still foggy and dim. Forty yards past the gate and all of the sudden rays of light began piercing through. 100 yards from the gate and I was in bright clear sunlight. Morning sun light that is warm and inviting. It was simply a beautiful site. I had sun. From the top of DP the view is always spectacular. Looking west you can see the big blue ocean. Looking north you can usually see the San Bernadino Mountains north east of LA. Looking east are just the beautiful valleys of the San Diego coastal range. But yesterday there was none of that. Yesterday everything was covered in Fog except, the big green water tank that marks the "you're almost there" point of the climb. It looked like a space ship hovering in the fog. The the west nothing but white. To the north the peaks of the Mountains were showing through, nothing else. To the east just one peak was showing. At the top of that peak is a house. Wow I know they paid dearly for that house on that space but man do they have the sunrise views.

Two things that will never get old:
Double Peak
The Sunrise.
When they are together it's simply outstanding.

It's a good life...
Dave

No comments: