Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Lost Dog - What to do

Last night or newly rescued lab bolted after something when I wasn't't looking. We were out in the park and the next thing I knew was that I had two leashes and only one dog to attach them to. I quickly put Scout the older dog in the house and started searching. I less then 15 minutes she was gone. Nobody had seen her and she was out of sight. Niki is new to us and that makes her new to the neighborhood. I ran around the park then got in the car and started a search widening the circle each time around. By this time I had many others looking too. No luck!  So what did I do to find her.


  1. I quickly made flyers and distributed them around our park and the other dog parks in the area. I even put one up at Starbucks because dog people drink coffee.
  2. I called the shelter help line and gave a description and her chip number.
  3. I put a notice on Craig's list.
  4. Because we rescued Niki the group www.labsandmore.org posted on Facebook. 
  5. Then I tried not to panic.
At 8:30 this morning a full 15 hours later my phone rang. It was the Shelter people. A woman had called in the tag on her collar and reported that she had the dog. 15 minutes later Niki was home. The woman's 17 year old daughter was out running at 10:30 pm and found Niki. Amazingly in 5 hours she didn't go very far. Literally about 1/4 mile from the house. The girl took her home and the rest is history. 

All day my phone rang with concerened people making sure Niki was safe. Most of the calls coming from Starbucks. Yesterday nobody new Niki. Today all of Cardiff knows her.


No comments: