Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Day In Colorado

I spent the last two days in Colorado. Yesterday was one to remember for a long time.

The day started with a run in Louisville. I headed up to the Mesa which has views of the valley below (Boulder) and the grand rockies on the other side of the valley. I stopped in my tracks when Long's Peak (Pictured above) came into view. I was introduced to Long's Peak by my cousin Julie. She lived in Colorado and loved climbing the 14's with Long's Peak being her favorite. Julie died at a very young age. Every time I see Long's Peak I think of Julie and yesterday was not different. I seemed a bit more emotional this time.

Then it was off to show shoes to retailers. The Boulder area is not just home to running stores. It's home to Legends. First up was Solepepper Sports owned by Alan and Shayne Culpepper. Alan is had a 2:09:41 debut marathon. He was fourth at Boston and 12th at the Olympics in Athens. Shayne is a 2 time Olympian on the track. And I got to talk shoes with Alan. Man what an honor.

Next up was the Boulder Running Company. The BRC is running. There is no other way to say it. They are an Icon in the running industry. The Owner is Johnny Haberstadt. Johnny would have run in many Olympics had his country South Africa not been banned. In the 70's and 80's Johnny was the best in that country winning virtually every important race in the country. Also at that store but not in my meeting is Mark Plaatjes. Mark was the first long distance World Champion Gold Medal winner for the USA. Mark won the 1993 Worlds Marathon in Germany. Again, what an honor it is to just be invited into that store.

Not a bad way to spend a day.

It's a good life...
Dave

No comments: