Monday, January 9, 2012

Running Around - Episode 1 - The Girl and Oreo Cookies

Running Around will take you through all the places in the world I've run or will run in my life. I've been really lucky to be able to do what I do. At age 17 I started running and made a commitment then that I wanted to work for a shoe company. Well here I am many years later still running and working for a shoe company. But it all had to start somewhere and that somewhere is right here. The Lake at Lake of the Woods in Dunlap IL. My brother Bob was a runner and I thought that was rather crazy. But then I met a girl and she was a runner. Not just any runner mind you she was on a team of 3 in Cross Country and track (distance) and she made it to the final in the State Track meet for the 800 as a freshman. Anyway one day she challenged me to a race way off in the future. My soccer season was over and my daily routine was come home from school, have a hand full of Oreo Cookies and watch MTV. Not long after that challenge, I was sitting on the couch with a stack of Oreos by my side when it hit me. I put on my running shoes (a pair of cheap Nike shoes) and started running. My goal was to run to the lake and back. Roughly 3 miles round trip. I was sore for 2 days after that but somehow I did it again, and again, and again. The next week I bought my first pair of real running shoes (New Balance) and just kept going. The relationship with the girl ended, I hate Oreo cookies but the running remains.

It's a good life....

No comments: