Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Building Functional Strength

I read a tip from Gordo Byrn about strength training. I learned long ago that it works well for my body to keep it strong. I have been known to get my skinny ass in the gym to mix it up with the big boys. Today though I work on functional strength. Gordo says to pick one month a year and lift as much weight as you can. For me that month is June. My busy work and life schedules don't don't allow me to devote time in the gym so I improvise. Take today as an example. My goal was 30 minutes of strength. I did it all in the office and did in 3 x 10 minute boosts. Each one separated by 1 hour.


  1. Stair Jumps Like box jumps only on stairs 2 stairs at a time
  2. 15 slow as molasses push ups
  3. 30 seconds of wall squats
  4. Alternating kneeling leg/arm extensions
  5. Stair Jumps this time three stairs at a time
  6. 10 push ups rapid fire
  7. repeat to failure or 10 minutes

I will do a variation of this 3 times/week increasing the number of sets (lifting more weight)
Each Sunday. By the end of June each day will consist of 6x 10 minute sets. In July I will settle down to twice a week for 30 minutes.

It's a good life.....

No comments: